Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stop making excuses

My wife and I where recently discussing many of the excuses that we have used not to do things that we have been commanded to do. For example Home and Visiting Teaching are our biggest problems when it comes to making excuses. In the end it really comes down to a few excuses, we are too busy, we don't have an active companion, or we are too tired. 

As I listened to the Priesthood lesson last week on being a valiant saint my thoughts turned to Nephi and the challenges he faced. One in particular stuck out to me, his attempts to get the plates from Laban. I am sure at the time that Nephi could easily had said he was too busy, there was more than enough work available in their little camp to keep him busy for a life time. I am also sure that he could have complained that his brothers would not be good companions for him and decide that he should not go. He also could have decided that the long journey into the wilderness had left him weary and that he would go later when his strength had returned. 

He did none of these, he went and did as the Lord had commanded. He was tried more during his attempts to obtain the plates and could have decided that he was not able to accomplish the Lords commandment and returned home, but he did not.

If Nephi can take the time to travel with unworthy companions while still tired from his previous travels, add stick to it until he had accomplished the Lords plan than I can do the same. I can take a few hours out of the month to visit my friends and neighbors in my ward!

No comments: